Powered By Blogger

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Law oy




Law oy is a vegetables stew  with fried fish on it. This dish reminds me of my late grandpa because it is his favorite dish. I was thinking that Filipinos in the old old time has their own vegetable garden and they can just pick or harvest fresh veges and prepare Law oy or vegetables stew in their kitchen.

 I remember when I was young, my grandmother had a very wide garden with different kinds of  vegetables. It was so easy to make a stew coz' we just took some steps from the kitchen to the garden , picked some veges and make the stew. I wish I have a garden like that here in Norway:) Unfortunately, the summer in the west coast of Norway is too cold or wet to plant  some tropical veges. Im glad my sister,Jasmin, is living in the city near the asian stores. When she come for a visit, she always take with her some Filipino vegetables that I cannot buy in the Norwegian local store.

Ingredients:





4 cups of water
2 stalks of lemon grass
1/2 onion,sliced
50g ginger, pelled and sliced
1 tomato,sliced
1/2 bell pepper ,cubed
1 cup of malunggay leaves or drumstick tree leaves
1 cup of sweet potato leaves
1 cup of sliced butternut squash
1 cup of sliced eggplant or aubergine
1 cup of sliced okra
1 cup of sliced string beans
salt and pepper to taste

400 grams salted fish ,fried


Procedure:


In a pan boil water, lemon grass, onion , ginger and tomatoes until they are cooked well. Add  1 tsp of salt and some dashes of pepper.



Add butternut squash and let it boil for 3 minutes or until the squash is cooked.  Add eggplant, okra, string beans and let it boil for another 3 minutes in a medium heat.









 Add fried fish, bell pepper ,sweet potato leaves, malunggay or drumstick tree leaves. Adjust the taste by adding more salt , pepper or water.
Let it simmer in a low heat for 2 minutes.






Ready to serve:)







1 comment:

  1. I love this... it's amazing you get the chance cook law oy in Norway... Good luck!

    ReplyDelete