Powered By Blogger

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Homemade Fishballs




Fish ball is a popular Filipino street food and it reminds me of my summer vacations during my younger years. I used to spend my summer vacation in my grandfather's place and I was selling some fish balls to earn some money so I can buy school supplies before the school will start. I  enjoyed those days because I was doing it  with my close friends and once in a while I think of it  and it bring smile on my face:) I miss my friends, I miss the smell of the fish balls and I miss everything...

Today I am going to show you how to make my own version of homemade fishballs.


Ingredients:

200 grams of fish filet,mashed (boiled in water with salt and pepper)
1 cup of water from the boiled fish

2 cups of flour
1tsp baking powder
1tsp salt
1/2 tsp of pepper
3 cloves of garlic,minced
3 tbsp of minced onion
3 tbsp of minced red bell pepper
3 tbsp of minced scallion/onion leaves
1 egg,beaten

oil for frying






Procedure:

Mix flour and baking powder together.
In a bowl or food processor, mix all the ingredients and stir well until all the ingredients incorporate with each other.




Cover the bowl with a plastic wrap and set aside for 30 minutes.






Dip/wet a spoon in a glass of water, scoop some fishball mix/batter and make a ball in your palm by the help of the spoon.





Deep fry the first fish ball batter  in a low heat until the color turn into light brown. Taste it first and adjust the taste of the mixture or batter before frying the next batch .





Obviously, my fish balls are not perfect balls:)) Sorry I'm in a hurry:))


You can make a perfect round/circle fish balls by forming it in your palm. Use extra flour if the batter will stick into your hands. If you want to save some of the fish balls  for later use, you can boil them in a boiling water and keep it in your freezer. Defroze them later and fry. Look at the picture below:




Use sweet and sour sauce for dip or make a Filipino style fish ball brown sauce.


Filipino Style Fish ball Brown Sauce


Ingredients:

1 tsp vinegar
3 tbsp soya sauce
5 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp of cornstarch diluted in 1/2 cup of water
1 cup water


Optional ingredients

1 tbsp minced onion
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tsp minced chili

Procedure:

Mix all the ingredients in a pan and bring to boil. Stir constantly.
You can add minced chili,minced onions and minced garlic if you like a spicy sauce.
(Adjust the ingredients according to the taste you like).













12 comments:

  1. You and I, had a great time making fish ball,also we had fun cause we're making some money and we enjoyed it a lot. so many good memories.. I would love to make fish ball right now, just don't have time yet.
    Thanks for sharing recipe,I am glad you finally made your own website. my hubby keep telling me to make my own show on you tube also. just did not have the perfect time so far.haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, I miss those days but I am pretty sure we can do it again some other time. Maybe when we have all the time in the world...no rush, no stress..just enjoying our lives, maybe when are already receiving our pension haha:) Thanks for the comments manay:) Miss you!!

      Delete
  2. Hi,

    Thank You so much for the recipe. I was searching online for it, and I found your blog.. Maraming Salamat, it was really good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for the shared recipe! it really helps me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you steam this instead of frying in oil?

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you mas nakatipid ako
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this recipe, I will try it soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your recipe.. a great help for my family esp. To my kids!! God bless..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi!! thank you for the recipe! I will try it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, thanks for the recipe. I would like to try this. What kind of fish do you recommend to use?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style of blogging. I added it to my favorites blog site list and will be checking back soon. Please check out my site as well and let me know what you think. Sea Water Fish

    ReplyDelete